Thanks to Snacky Wombat, I’ve been tagged for this meme. 6 Boring Quirks About Me.
Now, you don’t REALLY want to hear BORING quirks about me, do you? If I were you, I’d want to hear JUICY SCINTILLATING quirks. However, I’m not going to give you either. I’m going to change up the rules just a touch and go with 6 Literary Quirks About Me. Just so it’s all in the family.
1. I’m an education junky. If I could go to school for the rest of my life, I would. I would earn more MAs ‘cos they are more fun than BAs or PhDs.
2. I can’t seem to finish a Faulkner novel all the way through. Think I finished As I Lay Dying maybe in high school. But I tend to start and stop. I get all lost, as if I’m sleepwalking or something. Love his short stories, though.
3. I can’t get into chick lit. I’m a chick, I like lit. But can’t seem to stand the combo between book covers. I think it has something to do with the cover design: hot pink titles with excessive curlicue typefaces and cute graphic drawings of cartoon chicks running around frantically shopping or solving murders or clubbing their boyfriends into submission or whatnot. What would they have done with Jane Eyre, do you think?
4. I do most of my reading in bed, before going to sleep. I don’t think it helps my insomnia. But I have gotten through two volumes of Proust that way.
5. I have trouble marking pages. Maybe it’s a leftover from my Catholic schoolgirl days, but I feel as if I’m vandalizing a book if I mark in ink or highlighter or even pencil. No, no: Desecration is more like it.
6. But I love reading notes from previous readers. Margin notes, dedications, anything marked up by previous owners or readers of the book make me happy. I like feeling a literary link with someone I don’t even know.
Here are the rules for this meme:
Tell about six unspectacular quirks of yours (literary, if you so choose)
Link the person who tagged you – that’d be Snacky, and by all means visit minus the spine and lurk.
Mention the rules in your blog
Tag six following bloggers by linking them
Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger’s blogs letting them know they’ve been tagged
Uh, I am tagging the first six people who see this. You know who you are.